Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Dancers

One thing I absolutely love about Seattle is outdoor summer concerts and the people watching that ensues. Specifically, I love to watch the dancers! Today was a great example - I made good use of my free time by going downtown to the "out to lunch" concert series where a country band called Jo Miller and Her Burly Roughnecks was playing. Never mind that I felt out of place among all the career professionals who were there on their lunch breaks! As I was sitting on a ledge eating a gluten free scone (thanks to Flying Apron Bakery) a man caught my eye. Maybe it was the bright purple satiny shirt and skirt he was wearing, maybe it was his unkempt beard, but he was fascinating. The most interesting thing was his dancing... swaying from side to side as he walked, waving around two large bandanas, not in time to the music but he was definitely in a zone. It reminded me a lot of one year at Bumbershoot (outdoor music festival at Seattle Center every Labor Day weekend) when Adam and I befriended a similar type of dancer. This dancer was in a zone also, but had quite a bit more rhythm - perhaps due to the large can of beer he was drinking? After impressing us with his single-handed-can-crushing ability, he recommended a performer to us that turned out to be one of our favorites of the day!

This being said, I'll put out a toast to all the dancers out there - traditional and not-so-traditional. And for anyone who is in Seattle or plans on visiting, ever, try to check out Bumbershoot over Labor Day weekend, Folklife over Memorial Day weekend, or any outdoor summer concert (you can find one almost every day I think). I guarantee you won't be disappointed!


A late addition: Here is a picture of the dancer from a later concert - apparently he is a regular.

No comments: