Monday, August 13, 2007

Employment!


Some of you may know this already but I recently accepted a job teaching math at Ballard High School in Seattle. So, as I sleep in every morning and spend each day doing whatever I want to do, I am now aware that in two weeks this will all change drastically. In fact, for the first time in 3 years, I will be receiving a real paycheck and will be accountable for everything that goes along with that. Also, for the first time in my life, I will be standing in front of 30 high school students at once and hoping to build relationships with them and help them discover all that I love about math. It's scary.

At UVTI, the program where I received my teaching certificate, they advised us to not accept the first job offer we receive unless it is our dream job. Now I have accepted my first job offer and I don't know it is my dream job. What I do know is that I liked the teachers and principal who interviewed me, and they thought I was a good match for the position. There's something to be said for that, right? I also know that I'll be teaching some math classes in the biotechnology academy - a program for kids who want to have careers in science, and I think I could have something to contribute there!

I don't know exactly what to do in the next two weeks to prepare myself for this job. I don't think I ever can be fully prepared. I suppose that keeping an open mind and getting familiar with the curriculum is the best I can do at this point. And at the same time, I'll make the most of my free time that is soon to disappear.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats! That's really cool! If I ever went into teaching, I would teach math. It's lots of fun!

Mike P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike P said...

Marie, don't forget to thank the man that inspired your love of teaching...Gabby Laufer!